Course 3: Providing Linked Data
This learning pathway describes how Linked Data can be created and made available. Once again, we use the MusicBrainz dataset as an example, in order to show how different music data sources, stored in databases and texts can be prepared, matched to the MusicBrainz schema and made available as a linked data source.
You can study the materials of this learning pathway at your own pace, as there is no predetermined start or end date.
1. Learning outcomes
By the end of this learning pathway you should have an understanding of:
- The main stages in the Linked Data lifecycle from its creation through to its publication and use.
- How to design new URIs and link to existing vocabularies when creating data.
- How the Simple Knowledge Organisation System (SKOS) can be used to specify links between the created data and existing datasets.
- How to publish a dataset, providing access to both metadata about the dataset as well as the dataset itself.
- How to manage datasets and make them available in linked data repositories.
- How linked data is used to enhance search engines.
- How a range of tools can be used to create linked data from different formats such as spreadsheets, databases and texts.
- How the SILK framework can be used to automatically discover relationships between datasets.
2. Creating, Interlinking and Publishing Linked Data
Learn what should be on your checklist for creating, interlinking and publishing Linked Data.
Creating Linked Data
- Are all the relevant entities/concepts were effectively extracted from the raw data?
- Are all of the URI you have created dereferenceable?
- Are you reusing terms from widely accepted vocabularies and only invented terms when one did not already exist?
Interlinking Linked Data
- Is the dataset linked to other RDF datasets?
- Are the created vocabulary terms linked to other vocabularies?
Publishing Linked Data
- Do you provide dataset metadata?
- Do you provide information about licensing?
- Do you provide additional access methods such as data dump or SPARQL endpoint?
- Is the dataset registered in LD catalogs, using CKAN within an organisation or publicly via the Data Hub?
3. Linked Data Catalogs and Tools for Providing Linked Data
Learn about Linked Data catalogs and the tools that can assist you with the creation and interlinking of Linked Data.
4. Further reading
If you are interested in more learning materials and resources about Linked Data, here are some suggestions that are relevant to this particular pathway:
- Ciravegna, F., Gentile, A., Zhang, Z.. (2012) LODIE - Linked Open Data for Web-scale Information Extraction. Workshop on Semantic Web and Information Extraction (SWAIE 2012). Workshop in conjunction with the 18th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW 2012). http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-925/paper_2.pdf
- LOD2 Webinar Series: Silk -(Simplified) Linking Workflow by Rober Isele. http://www.slideshare.net/lod2project/slides-11702787